Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Google's view on link exchange.

Without checking the veracity, I reproduce here what I read in a few places: "Google doesn't give importance or weight to reciprocal links."

But why? Can anyone of you come up with a valid reason.? Then all the blog rolling and networking are just wasted effort?

I have a blog on education and I certainly can link to a blog that speaks about student loans. I can say in my blog that I read blogs that write about students uniforms and places that are fit for an educational tour, recommended books to read, paying guest facilities available in Virginia and so on.

Well, the Boss says and all we can say is , "The Boss is always right".

In my experience, I consider gaining one way link is more favorable than reciprocal links.
The best ways to gain one way link:
Signature on forums.
Comments on blogs that follow comments.
Directories.
Blog reviews.

Oh, I forgot; social bookmarking is the most preferred method but it is a cumbersome work. Considering this as an opportunity, I offered my social bookmarking services some time ago in the market place in a forum.

The response was not all the encouraging but a few that trickled in were completed by me to their fullest satisfaction. Since, then, like coins collector, I collected various social bookmarking websites in general category as well as some unique niches.

I really enjoyed the work. I am still available for anyone who would like to post their website or blog in nearly 100 social bookmarking websites.
Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reciprocal linking garners traffic from blog readers who aren't necessarily bloggers themselves. Traffic, particularly from Alexa toolbar users, improves one's rankings.

As someone who receives at least a dozen "will you trade links?" requests a week -- as snobby as that sounds, and I'm sorry -- I generally don't go for the reciprocal thing. I'd much rather have someone link me because they like my content, and that's why I link to the blogs on my blogroll, too.

That's what Google and other search engines count on when they crawl pages: that a site with "good authority" is careful about its outgoing links and thus the search engines give those outgoing links more weight than, say, one with a blogroll that lists half the blogosphere.

Having said that, I should point out that I hate the way the search engines handle such things. Which is why I maintain two sites: the other of which practices big linky love. That's what the blogosphere was built on, after all.

Rangan Badri said...

Tell me frankly, how many had linked to you because they liked the content?

Most people including me will certainly bookmark it to come again to read fresh content.

But linking is another matter which is carried out only on request.

In spite of your policy on reciprocal, may I ask or one?

Smile it away if you don't want...
Cheers lady.