Pages

Monday, July 02, 2007

The Greek connection.

We, our language, several religious beliefs and customs, philosophy, astronomy, and science have some connection or the other with Greece.

I can cite several Greek connections as far as our religious beliefs are concerned but some may not agree. But in our local language and in the English, there are thousands of words that are said to be originated from the Greek language. There cannot be any dispute over this.

For example, we are all familiar with proteins that are vital for living organisms, as they are the main components of the physiological pathways of cells.

But we may not be familiar with the word ‘Peptide’ which means in Greek ‘digestible’.

What are peptides?
Peptides are the family of short molecules formed from the linking, in a defined order, of various α-amino acids-which is the basic chemical in protein. An amide bond links a chain of amino acids and this bond is sometimes referred to as a peptide bond.

But why I am raising this topic?
I was asked to check my blood sugar because of certain symptoms. Our family doctor is very talkative like me. He is very happy to show off his medical knowledge to an eager listener and he presumed I am one. (He doesn’t know I switch off my hearing aid at times)

He explained that insulin is also a small protein (this is news to me) and can be considered peptides.

He added:
Do you know that peptides are synthesized by bio-synthetic firms mostly for research purposes and peptides allow the creation of antibodies in rabbit and mouse?

Bio-Synthesis, Inc (biosyn.com) is the world leader in this field and Universities, Research Labs and biotech organizations seek out them for their range of bio tech products.

Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

No comments: